If you are a beginner to yoga, then you should first start with only gentle yoga poses. It helps you get the basic idea of this practice and helps your body get used to a gentler form of exercise. Sukhasana or the Early pose is the most gentle yoga form. It is a seated yoga pose with a hip opening posture. It stretches the knee, ankle and strengthens your back.
The Early Pose or the Sukhasana should be practiced in the morning. It is one of the most gentle yoga poses for meditations and is ideal for beginners. It means the pose for happiness and calmness in Sanksrit. This early pose can be performed by people of all age groups.
To do this pose, one needs to sit cross-legged on the floor. This posture is very good for meditation, pranayama and is also a very good preparatory pose for other intense yoga poses.
Step By Step Guide For Performing This Gentle Yoga
- Sit on the floor with your legs outstretched in front of your torso.
- Next, cross the shins, and sit with your knees wide apart. Put both your feet under the opposite knees when bending them. Cross the legs inwards towards your torso.
- Relax your feet and ensure that the outer edges rest on the ground and the inner edges arch on the shins. You must make a triangle with your shins and thighs so that you can make a successful Sukhasana pose.
- Furthermore, you need to make sure that there is a comfortable space between your feet and pelvis.
- Balance your back to keep your tailbone and the pubic bone at equal distances from the ground so that your posture is straight.
- Keep your palms upon your lap. You can also rest your palms on your knees either facing up or down.
- Elongate the tailbone and make your shoulders firm. Furthermore, do not arch your lower back.
- Sit in this gentle yoga pose for as long as you feel comfortable.
- After some time, you should alternate the crossing of your legs and keep the right leg over the left.
Benefits Of The Gentle Yoga Pose – Sukhasana
Sukhasana has some amazing benefits when done regularly:
- It relaxes the brain.
- Sukhasana spreads a sense of peace and also calms through the body and mind.
- Moreover, early pose makes you feel relaxed as all sorts of anxiety, stress, and exhaustion leave your body and mind.
- Moreover, it broadens the chest and collarbone.
- Sukhasana improves body alignment because it makes the back strong.
- It makes your posture steady and also lengthens your spine.
- Furthermore, early pose stretches your ankle and knees.
Necessary Precautions To Be Taken
- Sukhasana must be avoided by a person with knee injuries.
- Anyone with a slip disc problem should not perform this pose without using the support of a pillow because it can aggravate the pain. They should use a cushion to make the pose a little comfortable and bearable.
A beginner might find it tough to sit on the floor comfortably for a prolonged period. So, one can take the support of a wall. Moreover, one can use blocks and cushions to sit in the correct posture.
The Science Behind The Gentle Yoga – Sukhasana
This gentle yoga pose creates a relaxed ambiance for the body and mind. Moreover, while sitting in the Sukhasana, one must make sure that one equally distributes weight on the buttocks. Align the shoulders with the hips. Also, align your head with the spine.Initially, it might be tough to relax the legs while one sits in this posture, but later, you will get used to it. Moreover, this asana strengthens and tones the torso.